scanners for slides

Hello everyone,

I am not an archivist--but a library technician.  Would some of you who
have dealt with scanning slides share with me what type of scanner you
use and why?  Our library acquired a large collection of slides that we
need to scan and would like some opinions regarding the pros and cons of
available scanners. We do not have a huge budget. Our goal is to not
necessarily reproduce perfect images from scanned slides, but to make
the images available to patrons, from the scanned images onto CD's, and
then  if he or she wanted a copy of the slide, we could then have a copy
made, or if the patron wanted to download the image and have a higher
quality photo made, could do so at his or her own expense.

Thanks,

Susan
begin:vcard
n:Grant;Susan
tel;work:207-784-0135 ext. 210
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lewiston Public Library;Reference Department
adr:;;200 Lisbon Street;Lewiston;Maine;04240;
version:2.1
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23776
fn:Susan Grant
end:vcard