Re: Consulting while Employed

Angela - two points not yet raised:
1 - you could have the "outside" project contract with your archives for
your time - then the business people would handle all the paperwork,
billing, etc.  You could then do the work on "company time" and get paid
your regular salary.  As someone has already pointed out, this would raise
your profile with your bosses, knowing that your expertise is known and
respected outside the circle of your immediate employment.
2 - if you do decide to do the work as an independent consultant, you might
want to get a business license - and remember that you will be liable for
any taxes (income, social security, etc).  Check out IRS Schedule C to find
out record-keeping requirements before you dive into this - it's a headache
that might not be worth the money involved.
hope this helps - ttfn - Jill in Alaska.

p.s. in any case, it would definitely NOT be ethical to do the outside work
on the time for which your company pays you to do their work.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
4200 University Drive
Anchorage AK 99508-4667
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    Angela Curran
                    <acurran@AAFP.ORG>          To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     Consulting while Employed
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    02/01/2000 11:55 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives &
                    Archivists

I have a question related to archival consulting, but with a slightly
different twist.  I searched the ARCHIVES' archives and found many posts
from previous discussions about archival consulting, but they tend to refer
to the type of consultant work that is independent, or what I think of as
self-employed consultants, who are making a living doing consulting.  I'm
in a situation that I'm sure many of you find yourselves in---happily
employed full-time but asked to consult on another project because of your
experience in your full-time position.  The main thing I can't determine is
whether I should/should not charge a fee above and beyond my expenses.  If
I did charge a fee, should my employer be entitled to it if they allow me
to consult on the other project during work time?

I'm a little baffled from an ethical perspective and have no guidance from
my employer.  In fact, they're kind of looking for me to come up with the
guidelines for this.  They've basically given their okay for it.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Angela Curran
Archives for Family Practice
AAFP Foundation