Re: Consulting while Employed

What is the difference, you are still on the clock?  Your organization is still paying your salary.

>>> "Truman, Anna" <atruman@CN.HUC.EDU> 02/01/00 03:22PM >>>
Are you taking off work to do this - like a vacation day?  If so, then the
time is yours, and so is the fee.  It's probably more complicated if you are
still on the clock, however.

Anna K. Truman
Project Archivist
The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the
American Jewish Archives
 <mailto:atruman@cn.huc.edu> atruman@cn.huc.edu
(513) 221-1875 ext. 221

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Kurilecz, Peter
[SMTP:peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM]
        Sent:   Tuesday, February 01, 2000 4:14 PM
        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
        Subject:        Re: Consulting while Employed

        Angela wrote: "The main thing I can't determine is whether I
should/should
        not charge a fee above and beyond my expenses.  If I did charge a
fee,
        should my employer be entitled to it if they allow me to consult on
the
        other project during work time?"
        "They've basically given their okay for it."

        Who will you be doing the consulting work for? When your
organization OK'd
        your working on the project does that mean they will be paying your
salary
        while on that project? Does your org gain some sort of PR advantage
by
        having you work on this outside project? If your organization is
paying you
        your salary I can't see how you can charge the other organization
for your
        time. However if your organization is granting you leave without pay
than
        you can charge the other organization, BUT be aware of the tax
implications.
        What will be your hourly-rate? Will you organization still provide
you with
        your benefits i.e. health, etc?

        As to expenses, what expenses do you expect to incur, gas, mileage,
        toll-fees? If yes, I would say charge them. If it is supplies have
the other
        organization order and pay for the materials themselves

        Just some thoughts

        Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
        Woodside Summit Group, Inc
        Richmond, Virginia