Re: jobs

Hi Jamie,
While it is true that you should get into grad school asap and that you *may* need to work in non-archives positions, I think, in my humble opinion, that since you have an emphasis in archival studies you may have some options.

First, you might be able to get a job as a non-professional archival assistant.
Second, you might be able to get a library job, ie. library clerk, and then volunteer at a local repository so you'll still be getting experience.
Third, depending on where you go to school there should be postings for non-professional archives positions.  I recommend contacting the department where you plan to go and ask about that.
At the very least and hopefully your program will have internships so again if you're not working in an archives position, you'll still be getting experience.

A lot depends on where you're located right now and where you're going to school.  I recommend continuing to use the Archives listserv for networking and contact your program as soon as you can about jobs for student archivists.

I just finished my MSLIS with an archives concentration in May so I know what you're going through.  Hang in there and good luck!

~Debbie

Deborah A. Richards
Manuscript Processor
Schlesinger Library
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
10 Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-495-8647
richards@radcliffe.edu
http://www.radcliffe.edu/schles

>>> Jamie Miller <JMi8099188@AOL.COM> 02/03 11:03 PM >>>
does anyone know what kind of job I can get with a BA in History with
emphasis in archival studies?  I'm going to grad school in the fall, but I
need to get my foot in the door somewhere.  help!!!!!!!  thanks