MARAC Spring Conference

MID-ATLANTIC REGIONAL ARCHIVES
SPRING CONFERENCE
May 18-20, 2000 in New Brunswick

The Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) will be returning to New Brunswick, New Jersey on May 18-20, 2000.  The program, "Managing Archives: Tales From the Basement," is an electrifying series of sessions and workshops devoted to issues they never taught you in school.  Indeed, this spring we are focusing on the "School of Hard Knocks."

New Brunswick, which as earned the nickname, "The Hub City," is nestled between New York and Philadelphia.  The city has undergone a cultural and commercial renaissance that has included new restaurants, retail shops, and of course Tony Award-winning theaters.

The Friday evening reception will be held in memory of longtime MARAC member and preservation advocate, Susan Swartzburg, at BUCCLEUCH MANSION.  This Georgian structure was built in 1739 by Anthony White and his wife, the daughter of New Jersey's Royal Governor Lewis Morris.  George Washington was a frequent guest.  The house was occupied by the Enniskillen Guards during the British occupation of New Brunswick in 1777.  Deeded to the City in 1911 the mansion is administered by the Jersey Blue Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution.

Our centerpiece tour will be Ellis Island which is also the topic of our luncheon lecture.  Attendees will able be treated to a walking tour of Rutgers University, a tour of historic Princeton University and its environs, the new New Jersey State Archives facility, a hike along the Delaware and Raritan Canal as well as opportunities to enjoy New Brunswick's thriving nightlife.

The dates are May 18, 19,20.  We hope you all enjoy what MARAC and New Jersey will be offering each and every one of you this spring.  Please register early so you won't be left out.

For any questions, comments or concerns, please contact Local Arrangement Co-chairs Stephen Dalina dalina@rci.rutgers.edu or Erika Gorder gorder@rci.rutgers.edu, or at (732-932-7006).