Re: dangerous humor

2/4/00

At the risk of sounding like a pedant, I have to point out that it is not
only legal but morally imperative to shout "fire" in any venue, crowded or
not, if one has reason to believe that there is indeed a fire.  Otherwise,
people would face the ridiculous prospect of punishment for trying
to save lives.  What is not permitted is to shout fire falsely.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the discussions about jokes on the
List, but I thought I would mention this in this last year of the second
millennium.

Christopher M. Beam
Director, The Edmund S. Muskie Archives
Bates College, 70 Campus Avenue