Re: [Photograph Cataloging?]

The Cataloging Distribution Service of the Library of Congress has available
online LC's cataloging resources, such as Subject and Name Headings, MARC
formats, and specialized cataloging manuals. The latter group includes the
Thesaurus for Graphic Materials, which encompasses control of photographs.

To access, go to http://lcweb.loc.gov/cds and choose the appropriate manual,
classification scheme or format information desired.

In addition to subject access, institutions may adopt their own means of
physical arrangement. Our photograph collection, for example, parallels our
record group structure and is arranged by source of material.

David McCartney
Montgomery County Archives
Rockville, MD

schaal <schaal@ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU> wrote:
I'm a graduate student at the University of Illinois in Library and
Information Sciences concentrating on archives and I'm doing a research
project on whether or not archives, museums, historical societies, etc. are
actually "cataloging" their original photographs.  My cataloging professor is
convinced that archivists just shove their photographs in a box.....????????

Considering how inadequate MARK and the AACR2 rules are for photographs, I
was
wondering what, if anything, is being used to catalog those photographs, and
what types of fields/subfields are being used?  What information is
absolutely
essential to creating a usable catalog record?  Do you research the
photograph
so that more information can be provided like names of people, places,
events,
etc.?

If anyone can provide me with alternative cataloging system such as software
packages, etc. or websites (like the Library of Congress' American Memories),
I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.
Donna Schaal

You can contact me off list at schaal@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu