Re: [Photograph Cataloging?]

I work in a public library that also has an archive with a nice collection
of photographs, but it is a local history collection. As such, it was
generated by people donating their photographs to the collection. I am
currently processing the photographs, which have been used quite a bit by
local businesses, organizations, and City Hall among others.  Unfortunately,
I walked into a system that was not organized as well as one would hope. I
am assigning accession numbers and negative numbers to every image. Each
image is assigned a subject heading with a see also reference if needed. I
have two negatives, including a master copy, and an 8x10 print filed under
the subject heading, for access.  The paper negative have the accession and
negative number, as do the prints. Prints that do not have negative numbers
have not been completely processed and I am keeping track of negatives
without prints. I am using  3x5 cards for subject headings and see also
headings. Unfortunately, the inventory worksheets did not enumerate the
images and I am doing that as I go along. I have Image AXS available, but I
find that it is much quicker to do this manually first because there is so
much initial paperwork to be done.  If you find someone has a better system,
I would love to hear. I would put this off, but the photograph collection
gets more use than anything else in the archive.

Jackie Saturley
saturlej@libcoop.net