Re: archives budget

Christine wrote
<snip>
Not to start an argument, but in my case, I am ordering a large number of
things in various quantities, and while I'm ordering a few  things in large
quantities, for many of them I'm ordering only one or two (e.g., rare book
wrappers in different sizes). I think that Gaylord is willing to give me a
discount because the order is large (and probably because the library is a
Gaylord customer for other items) (therefore, Matt, investigate which
vendor's] your library already deals with). I'd encourage Matt to look for a
discount based on the total cost of the order, rather than miss out on a
discount because he thinks he shouldn't ask for one because he's only
ordering one or two of some things. The worst that can happen is that the
vendor won't give a discount, and the best is that he *will* get a discount.
In order to get the discount, I *had* to tell them how much I was spending,
because I had to send a list of the items I was purchasing.
<snip>

Won't argue. What we are doing is providing Matt with knowledge gained
through a variety of experiences.

The example you cite is a perfect example of working with your vendor. Most
organizations will set up agreements with suppliers that will specify the
amount of discount. This is especially true with regards to office supplies.
I would imagine that the institution that Matt works for has some sort of
agreement in place with several vendors. Such agreements are usually called
open purchase orders. Why open? Because the organization has agreed or
determined that they will spend up to a certain amount with a vendor over
the life of a contract. For this guarantee the vendor has provided the
customer with a certain amount of discount for the life of the contract.
That would be the base discount, they may receive an even deeper discount if
a particular item is ordered in large quantities. (These contracts are not
easy and take a lot of work to develop) Such agreements will also cover
shipping costs and delivery. For example the winning bidder made it a part
of the winning bid that they would deliver all requested items to the
requestors desk. Doesn't sound like much, but we had 750 employees and that
particular part of the contract took a terrible burden off of our mailroom
staff who were the ones previously delivering the supplies.