Re: archives budget

Peter (and Matt, and list people)--

Not to start an argument, but in my case, I am ordering a large number of things in various quantities, and while I'm ordering a few  things in large quantities, for many of them I'm ordering only one or two (e.g., rare book wrappers in different sizes). I think that Gaylord is willing to give me a discount because the order is large (and probably because the library is a Gaylord customer for other items) (therefore, Matt, investigate which vendor[s] your library already deals with). I'd encourage Matt to look for a discount based on the total cost of the order, rather than miss out on a discount because he thinks he shouldn't ask for one because he's only ordering one or two of some things. The worst that can happen is that the vendor won't give a discount, and the best is that he *will* get a discount. In order to get the discount, I *had* to tell them how much I was spending, because I had to send a list of the items I was purchasing.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road