ProCite

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Lee Miller wrote:

> Is anyone using ProCite for accessioning? If so, what do you think of it?

I used DOS versions of ProCite for accessioning at the Wildlife
Conservation Society for more than ten years. Because I also used ProCite
for other applications (staff bibliography, index to inhouse publications,
art collection), I found it particularly convenient to use the same
program for the archives accession log.  Features I liked included
variable length fields and records, support for corporate authors,
multiple authors and multiple descriptors, and the default search, which
searches across all fields in all records.  I also found it relatively
easy to modify input screen and report forms to show accession record data
elements.

Having made those positive comments, I will note that I am migrating the
accessions log and other archives finding aids to db/Textworks by Inmagic,
rather than to the Windows version of Procite. I think the Windows
versions of ProCite, which I also use for other applications, would work
as well for the accession log, but not for the other archives finding aids
and other inhouse applications.

I plan to continue using the Windows version of ProCite for preparing the
staff bibliography. Attractive features of current versions of ProCite
include an integrated Z39.50 client, which permits searching and download
of bibliographic records from internet accessible Z39.50-compliant
catalogs. Current versions of Endnote and Reference Manager, from the same
publisher, offer most of the same features. The last time I checked,
however, ProCite was the only one of the three programs which will produce
bibliographies, or accession logs, arranged by subject heading.

Steve Johnson
Wildlife Conservation Society
sjohnson@wcs.org
sjohnson@westnet.com