Re: Archival Murphy's Law

Berry's Corollaries to Aprill's Law of Labels and Tape:

(1) The adhesive quality of labels, tape and adhesive is directly proportional
to the need for its removal.

(2) The adhesive quality of labels, tape and adhesive on any given record is
directly proportional to the delicacy and the
      informational and historic value of the record.

Observations on same:

(1)  The location of the most important information in a given record can be
accurately gauged by the distribution and opacity of
       tape on the surface of the record.

(2)  The value of said information can also be determined by the absence of
any adhesive that failed in its purpose to hold that
       portion of the record in place.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist (who just concluded a weeks-long task of dealing with
historic, valuable and irreplaceable photos that had
       been very thoroughly scotch-taped into a highly acidic album circa
1940)
Historical Construction Equipment Association
Bowling Green, Ohio