Kodak CD-PROM Product

FYI only.

This list often discusses different storage technologies.  One of the
problems (now) is that electronic files years from now will be unreadable
because the software used to create them will not have been stored with the
files.  (Not to mention that the storage technology originally used no
longer exists.)  Kodak last year introduced a new product that might help
us with this problem.  I do not know if it has been widely accepted, nor if
it will find hold in the archival market.  Time will tell.

The technology is called CD-PROM.  CD-PROM allows for a two different types
of CD technology to exist on the same disc.  Information can be written
onto a section of the disc just like a traditional CD-ROM -- meaning that
the information is written once and cannot be change.  Information can also
be written on another section of the disc on demand, like CD-R technology.
(Evidently this is a technology feat.)

Applications for the technology are not necessarily obvious, but one that
comes to mind is that a company could place software on the CD-PROM for
reading specific type of electronic files, then also customers (businesses,
archives, etc.) to write individual files on the CD-PROM.  Now the
electronic files and the software to read them with are on the same disc.
That disc could be thrown into the archives or storage for later use.
That, I think, would solve the problem of having data, but not being able
to read it.

Of course, the technology to read the discs could still change, but newer
CD readers can (thus far) read older CDs.

I do not know that cost of making this happen.  But if this is a cool tool
for archives, I hope it somehow makes its way into our hands.

Press releases are available at:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/corp/pressReleases/pr19990628-02.shtml
http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/corp/pressReleases/pr19990628-03.shtml

Jill