Master's theses not available from UMI

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Renee J. LaPerriere wrote:

> Can someone advise me on the most successful way to purchase master's
> theses which are NOT available via UMI

I usually find it worthwhile to query the library at the school which
granted the degree, although some schools refuse to circulate master's
theses on interlibrary loan. In some cases it is worth checking a
departmental or institute library in addition to the main library. Some
theses are published as departmental or institute working papers and
remain available for years (decades in my experience). For theses
published within the last thirty of so years--a period of decent database
coverage in fields of interest where I work, I check to see if the author
published the thesis in whole or part as one or more journal articles. In
recent years I've also tracked down the author, usually by e-mail, and
asked if a copy were available for purchase or donation.

I've found that an inexpensive way to build our library's collections of
theses and dissertations is to acquire them as donations from individuals
who served on thesis or dissertation committees. Faculty members who serve
on many committees are usually glad free the shelf space and, possibly,
obtain a tax deduction.

Steve Johnson
Wildlife Conservation Society
sjohnson@wcs.org