[no subject]

HEADLINE: OPM ends contract with 'racist' hotel

BODY:

The Office of Personnel Management has postponed a major conference
because the hotel scheduled to host the event has been accused of racial
discrimination.

The Justice Department sued the owner and operator of Adam's Mark Hotels
and Resorts, a nationwide luxury hotel chain,
for engaging in a pattern of discrimination against minorities.

OPM scheduled its annual Symposium on Employee and Labor Relations at an
Adam's Mark hotel in Denver, Colo. for March 2000 but decided to postpone
the event because of the lawsuit. No new site or date has been decided.

"In fulfilling OPM's commitment as a 'model employer,' I cannot ignore
these troubling allegations that offend the sensibilities of all
Americans," said OPM director Janice Lachance. "We recognize the great
importance of SOELR to federal human resources professionals across the
country and will work to identify a new site for this conference."

The Adam's Mark Hotel chain is owned and operated by HBE Corporation,
based in St. Louis. The chain operates 21 large, full-service hotels, in
locations around the country.

Fred Kummer, president of HBE, told FEA that the Justice Department's
allegations were untrue. He criticized OPM for terminating its contract
with the hotel, saying the government had "convicted this company without
a trial."

"We are anxious to defend ourselves," Kummer said. "It was my impression
that, as citizens of America, we were assumed innocent until proven
guilty."????????????

Tanya L. Marshall, M.L.S.

College of Library and Information Services
4111C Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742

E-mail: tlm@wam.umd.edu