Re: digital dissertations

> >From: Mike Lehman <mdl1@RA.MSSTATE.EDU>
> >To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
> >Subject: Re: digital dissertations
> >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:16:53 -0600
> >
> >On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Elizabeth Scott wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone had experience with the digital dissertation service offered
> >by
> > > Bell and Howell (UMI)?    Our library director is quite enamored of the
> > > idea, which provides one paper copy of a dissertation/thesis along with
> > > online rights to the text.  The library would no longer be responsible
> > > for
> > > maintaining the archival copy of our own dissertations--instead B & H
> > > would
> > > do it (digitally).  I have a lot of reservations about this, but thought
> > > I'd
> > > see if anyone else had any thoughts or experiences.

We are thinking on going to a digital format for our dissertations/thesis.
I would wager we will go with B&H do do this, instead of our microfilm
copy.  But we would not stop taking one hard copy for our archives.

Going digital is great for access and service.  But it will never replace
having a hard copy on acid free paper at your own university for the
archival copy.
Just my $0.02

Jim Beaven
Special Collections
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN.

Jamal-al-Din Beaven (Al-Ameriki)
Life without believing in Allah is like a pencil with a broken tip,
POINTLESS