Re: scanners

Kurt,

I did get some responses that were helpful and got me headed in the right
direction asking questions and getting answers.

I had a slide scanned at Office Max on the HP PhotoSmart S20xi and then had
prints made from the image file.  We were very pleased with the results. It
looks like we will probably purchase this model since the price is
reasonable--about $400 - $500.  We were leaning towards the expensive Nikon
Coolscan, but when we saw that the quality of the images can be controlled from
the computer software or by the machine reproducing the image, we felt the
added expense of the Nikon was unnecessary.

There is another issue you might be able to help us with though.  Now we are
faced with dealing with processing the collection and cataloging. The slides,
for the most part are already grouped by some kind of subject, such as
churches, mills, commercial buildings, weathervanes, Lisbon Street, Fire
Station, Lewiston High School, etc.  Not all the slides are identified within
the folders they are in.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to handle this
part of the colletion--the slides?  We were thinking of producing a finding
aid, similar to what was done with the Franklin Collection and the Libbey Mill
Collection.  I have just perused a book called "Organizing Archival Records"
which talks about series and records within the series etc.  Do you have any
suggestions?

Susan

kkuss wrote:

> Susan --
>
> Did you receive any good suggestions/advice from your query?  I should
> receive recommdations from our systems people here at Bates in the next few
> days and will share them with you then.  I told them what I wanted to be
> able to use a digital workstation and I believe they have focused on HP
> scanners and UMAX scanners.  My understanding is they prefer HP because of
> the long-term quality and service of the company.
>
> Hope the project goes well.
>
> - Kurt

begin:vcard
n:Grant;Susan
tel;work:207-784-0135 ext. 210
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lewiston Public Library;Reference Department
adr:;;200 Lisbon Street;Lewiston;Maine;04240;
version:2.1
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23776
fn:Susan Grant
end:vcard