Re: accessibility of theses

Wilma -

We catalog all undergraduate honors and departmental theses - full records appear in our online catalog. They are housed in the Archives, and can be used only in the Library - they do not circulate outside the building. Our Honors Program also has copies in their office, and they are willing to loan their copies for short periods because they know that the Library copy is 'safe'. Occasionally we have used their copy to fill Interlibrary Loan requests.

Mike

Michael Van Houten
Assistant Director of Libraries and Head
     of Public Services
Stockwell-Mudd Libraries
Albion College
602 E. Cass St.
Albion, MI 49224
517-629-0382
mvanhouten@albion.edu

>>> wslaight@WELLESLEY.EDU 02/18/00 09:35AM >>>
A faculty member at Wellesley has raised questions about the availability
of undergraduate honors theses.

Our practice is to have them in the Archives. We have a brief
bibliographic record for each thesis in the Library's online catalog.
Recently we agreed to produce a circulating copy, if someone wishes to
borrow a thesis.

We have been asked to ascertain what the practice is at other colleges and
universities.

1.  Do you keep undergraduate theses in the Archives?

2.  Do you catalog them?  And where does this catalog record appear?

3.  Do you circulate theses?

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Wilma

Wilma R. Slaight
Wellesley College Archives
Margaret Clapp Library