Climate Control

Who is successfully controlling humidity in your special collections areas
(within at least a 45-55% range)and what system are you using?  We are
renovating an area of approximately 2000 sq. ft. which will be used to
store our special collections (rare books, documents, photographic
material, artifacts).  The contractor has recommended the Mini-Temp Plus,
manufactured by Compu-Aire, Inc.  It is a chilled water system with
optional steam generating humidifier and electric reheat.  The control
parameters are temperature setpoint 65-85 degrees F with sensitivity +-1 to
+-5 degrees, and humidity setpoint 40-60% RH with sensitivity +-1% to
+-10%.  The contractor assures me that this system will do what I told him
we needed done.  Unfortunately, we have had problems with this contractor
in the past, so I don't know whether to believe him or not, and the other
members of the committee, i.e. library director, dean, business manager
keep insisting that we can control the humidity by simply turning the
thermostat up or down.  We have been at this for nine months and have yet
to come up with specifications.  If anyone has a system that they are very
satisfied with, please let me know what it is. Thanks.
"He who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe"

Dr. Laura McLemore, CA
College Archivist
Austin College
Suite 6L