Re: Climate Control

We use a Liebens system to control temperature and humidity,
and it DOES work ... however it is dependent upon the temperature
of the chilled water reaching the unit from other chiller units on
campus and equally dependent upon the temperature of the hot
water reaching the unit also.    That is the crux of our problem.
The university, to save money, often shuts down the hot water in
spring and summer because after all, from their point of view, you
only need it to "heat" an area.    We have had to argue and demand
hot water to the unit.   Similar problem with cold water...by the time
these conduits reach the library building, the original chilled water
can be warmer and the original hot water lukewarm.  Thus the unit
runs longer and longer but still until to reduce humidity or cool as
it should.    Because the hot water may be off, you have a excellent
cool storage facility (68 degrees or less) but the humidity may be
high ...   or it can be warm (68 degrees) and very dry ...   Fortunately
for us, roughly 90% of the time we are in the 66-68 degrees and
50-55 percent humidity.     One option we chose was to install a
heat pipe dehumidifier in the center of the stacks which helps
maintain humidity control ... drained water is pumped out so we
don't have to empty buckets.   Another option for the Liebans unit
which we don't have, is that Liebans can install "heaters" in the
unit which heat the incoming water back to the best hot water
temperature.  So you should consider that.    One problem with
going with the contractor's recommendation is that the unit
recommended may be the only one the contracter handles.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338