Re: Video Numbering

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Jim Lindner wrote:

> I strongly recommend considering the separation of  physical control from
> intellectual control...

I think Jim's advice is extremely sound. I would only add, based on my own
experience, that I think it is wise to prepend the collection number to
whatever numbering system you use.

We use an AXXX number for audio tapes and a VXXX number for video tapes,
so a typical A/V number here at UCI would be something like:

MS-F07-A03 or
MS-P23-V072

This provides direct, inseparable information about the
fonds/collection/record group to which a tape belongs within a repository,
regardless of the storage system you use. It also means that you only have
to manage numbering within individual collections, rather than across your
entire repository, which could be a nightmare over time. It also means
that you don't need to guess at the number of "0"s beginning your actual
number that you'll need for the next umpteen years, since your numbers can
start over again with each collection.

--
Manuscripts Librarian                |                   The UCI Libraries