Mass produced phonograph records

Imas Rkavist requesting reproduction equipment for LPs and reel to reel
tapes raises the question in this neophyte's mind, who has taken only
one archives course. Why are phonograph records and mass produced audio
tapes considered by some archives to be archives material? Phonograph
records appear like books to be mass-produced and would require
item-level processing (meaning library-type cataloguing). Many archives
in universities simply send mass produced sound recordings to the
library's sound collection. I can see in gathering the textual records
of a small record label also taking file copies of phonograph releases,
acetates, tape masters, and certain other sound materials that relate to
the record company's operation.  Why would an archives take in a
phonograph record collection when it would not take in book or journal
collection? I guess, my question what are the circumstances that make
collecting mass produced phonograph records a part of an archives
mission?

Bob Pruter