(Mis)treated leather

We recently acquired a leather item for our artifact holdings, and it
appears that the original owner tried to do us a favor by treating the
leather with some kind of oil to prevent further cracking.

The problem is that it was appaently overtreated, and is now "sweating" the
excess oil.  We've had to isolate the item so it doesn't stain anything
else.

I am having our intern try to blot the leather with acid-free tissue to get
as much off as possible, but I was wondering if anyone has any good advice
as to a better way to rid the leather of all this junk.  I realize that the
use of additional chemicals to reverse this may make matters worse, but
additional chemicals may ALSO be necessary in this case.

Help?

Bill Jackson
Senior Archivist
Harley-Davidson Motor Company