copyright

It's been awhile since I've seen a copyright question, so I thought I would
pose one near and dear to me at the moment. I'm curious about the copyright
implications for documents from a company that no longer exists. Here at the
Space Business Archives, I've got a complete corporate history of the
company that produced the first commercial rocket ever launched (in 1982).
I"m talking 20 cubic feet of business plans, marketing reports, photos,
video, etc.
The documentation has been donated by three individuals from the company
(including its president, CEO, and marketing director).

Unfortunately, two of the individuals have passed away and their is no deed
of gift (this was all done before I arrived...I couldn't have that on my
conscience).

My question is, does the company collectively own all copyright to documents
created during its existence, and did that pass to us since they are no
longer in business?
I would like to have a line on this so that I have a way to approach the
lone surviving donor of the material, especially since he has more to
donate.

Any direction would be appreciated on this 70 degree friday in Virginia.

   Neil Dahlstrom