DB/TextWorks

Hello, I'm new to this listserv and I wanted to ask a couple of
questions regarding any experiences you may have had using DB/Textworks.
We want to create a simple inhouse database of our photographs. We'll
probably start scanning images and linking them with the text fairly
soon after we get started. No webpublishing, at least not this year.
We'll be using version 4.0, I believe. I have downloaded a trial version
of it and created a small database of about 50 records and found no
major problems with it, just wondering if any of you have any negative
experiences that I should be aware of. Of course I'll be glad to hear
the details of any positive experiences as well.

Also, our automation people are a little wary of the archives purchasing
a stand alone database for photographs. They are trying to sell me on
the idea that Webpals has the same capabilities and that I should use it
to enter information about our photographs. I'm reluctant to use
webpals, mainly because we want a database under our (the archives)
control. Also, I'm not sure if the descriptive fields we want to use
would be available in webpals. Obviously I don't know much about webpals
capabilities. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I should go
about selling the merits of DBT as opposed to webpals? Any comments
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul Crater
Processing Archivist