From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On Behalf
Of Mark Walsh
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 1:13 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Museums and documents

Lee et al. -

Here in Ontario we realized long ago that many community museums AND public
libraries held significant archival materials.  Further, we knew that some
staff in archives - dedicated positions - could not afford the time and
moeny for formal academic programs.  This culminated in the devleopment of
a certificate program by the Archives Association of Ontario, which has
done much good in raising the level of practice in this province.

Still, if a curator or librarian does not attend the AAO courses, one can
still see accession numbers written (hopefully in pencil and not India
ink...) on individual documents...

One of the interesting observations which has come to me over the years in
dealing with both public library librarians and community museum curators
on archival matters is that the librarians have tended to be very
interested in access, to the detriment occasionally of preservation, while
the curators seem to be exactly the reverse.

Now to my museum and library colleagues, both in the Great White North and
south of the 49th parallel, these are only observations and should not be
taken as sweeping generalizations.

Cheers!

Mark