Re: Microfilm inter-library loan

Paul:

I hope that I did not misread your message and that you sent out on ILL your
original negative. Anyway this has not happened to us. We have loaned church
records on microfilm. We did get some back that were muddy from having fallen
out of car that skidded into a ditch. I believe the borrower paid us for new
copies.  If it was the fault of some institution's reader-printer then they
should be the ones that pay.
Cordially

"Paul A. Ericksen" wrote:

> The Billy Graham Center Archives loans out through inter-library loan
> microfilm copies of its collections for which it holds the originals as well
> as the master negative of the microfilm.  A roll was recently returned
> shredded near the beginning of the roll.  As we've never faced this
> situation before, we wondered how those of you who have encountered this
> have responded.  How have you (archives, special collections, libraries)
> handled materials which are returned damaged?  What policies have you
> implemented?  Did you absorb the cost yourself?  Did you charge the
> institution to which you loaned the material?  Or did you charge the
> individual to whom the material was loaned through the institution?

John R. Woodard, Archivist
Wake Forest University
P.O. Box 7777 Reynolda Station
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27109