Re: Washington Post Shenandoah Park Archive Article

Currently, the only national park that is an affiliated archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is Yellowstone National Park.  There is no blanket authority from NARA to establish affiliated archives at national parks.  We are looking into the records issues at the Shenandoah National Park with the Park Service.

Lori Lisowski
Director, Policy and Planning
NARA

>>> Lisa Pruitt <lpruitt@MTSU.EDU> 03/06 4:31 PM >>>
I don't know all the ins and outs of how the regulations have changed,
but the National Park Service does have the blessing of NARA to
establish onsite archives at national parks.  We here at Middle
Tennessee State University are currently cooperating with Big South Fork
National Recreation Area and the southeast regional branch of the NPS to
develop graduate internships involved with setting up an onsite archive
consisting of exactly the kind of records discussed in the WashPost
article.

And, by the way, we also provide archival training within the context of
a public history program focused primarily on historic preservation and
museum curatorship -- currently looking at expanding the archives
component.

Lisa Pruitt
Dept. of History and Albert Gore Research Center
MTSU