Re: Website for Virus checking

I have used housecall for over a year and have been extremely happy with it.
Since I moderate the AV Media Matters list serve I have to be very careful
that my machine does not get infected and them infect the entire list.
Housecall has several advantages to other virus checkers which I have now
removed from my machine. First of all, it is always VERY current. The
company is almost always the first to have a fix for a new virus. You always
know when you are doing a check that it is up to the minute. I used to use
Brand N, and I found them slower to respond. Several applications in the
windows world do not really like virus checkers much - they can interfere
with each other. As an example, you should always have virus checking turned
off when installing new applications. I am ALWAYS trying new software so
this is a real pain. Virus checkers that are always resident also take us
some processing speed, and most often interrupt your work, which I find very
annoying. Housecall is VERY fast once you have downloaded the current engine
and virus list it just zooms through the system, and it almost always found
problems that Brand N did not.
Finally the company has an email report that they send you every now and
again and tell you about new virus and which ones are the biggest problems.

Bottom line - it is a great service, it is free, you need to run it on your
own every now and then, and it is best if you have a reasonably fast
internet hookup so you do not have to wait a long time for it to download
the engine and virus descriptions.

I give it a thumbs UP!
jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com