Re: Passport Applications

See http://www.nara.gov/genealogy/passport.html  for information on where passport applications are kept and how to get them. Note that while nowdays, we would not even consider the idea of traveling without a passport, they were not absolutely required for travel abroad until 1941 (and come to think of it, it is still possible to cross the border to Mexico without showing a passport--I've done it several times).

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Jim McLeod <jamcleod@THEHIGHLANDGROUP.COM> 03/10/00 01:48AM >>>
For a book I am writing, I am trying to track several individuals  who
traveled with some frequency to and from Mexico in the 1910's, 20's and
30's.  While searching the correspondence files of the Consulate General
in Mexico City for 1935, one of the target years, I was able to find
reports written about two of these individuals.  The reports dealt with
litigation between the two over a business deal gone bad which was
adjudicated by a Mexican court.  While reading through the volumes of
correspondence at the National Archive yesterday I happened to notice
that in the same bound volume as these reports there were several (20 to
30) copies of applications by Americans for passportes.  Incuded were
the filled out applications forms and two pictures of the applicants.

It occurred to me that finding the passport applications of all three
men might provide some very helpful information to me concerning place
of residence in the US at the time of application and other biographical
information on the form plus a picture of what they looked like.  With
respect to one of these men the picture would be a tremenduous help to
my research.  Hence, my question is concerning the location of passport
applications.  Where do these records reside?  Are they centralized?  I
would assume the records I saw were applications of persons who appeared
to apply for the passport, or passport renewal in Mexico.  Are passporte
applications of say 50 years or 60 years ago available to researchers
and if so where do they reside?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.