Re: advise needed

Maggie,

I guess the most basic question is: What do you see yourself doing after all the arrangement and description are done?  Will there be enough work left to occupy a full time position (assuming that the position has been full time until now)?

If the answer is yes, then explain why so to "The Powers that Be."  Also be sure to tell them that well meaning non-professionals can do a real number on a collection if left to make their own decisions.  (Believe me I know, I've seen some of the results.)

If the answer is no, and you don't know how you will fill 40 hours a week, it may be time to look for a new project, perhaps while still working for your current employer part time, or suggesting that they hire somebody part time to provide reference and collection development.

Just my opinion,
Patrick

Patrick J. Prior
Staff Archivist
Holy Cross Family Ministries
patrick@familyrosary.org

I must justify, in a one-page document, why a professional archivist is
still needed to oversee and address maintenance issues for collections that
are "finished" in terms of organization, arrangement, description, etc.  I
have been working on this and have some points listed, such as on-going
reference, additions to "related materials," etc., but I want to be very
thorough.  I will be presenting this document to non-archivists and need to
make it clear (jargon-free!) and yet emphatic -- you know, why we are
indispensable.  Please share your wisdom and help me make an iron-clad case.
You may email me directly and I will share with the list later if there is
interest.

Many thanks,
Maggie