Re: advise needed

Maggie -

In addition to what Patrick and others have said, if there is a full-time
job there one of the points to get across is the archivist's ability to be
an asset in "knowledge management".  Understanding the configuration and
inter-relatedness of documentation is a major factor in retrieval of
information.  It might also be useful to touch upon, and hopefully this is
not in the area of jargon you were trying to avoid, provenance-based
research...an archivist who does this or directs researchers based on
his/her knowledge of the organization and the information which is created
in particular units, can be an invaluable asset....

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers!

Mark

At 01:41 PM 03/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Maggie,
>
>I guess the most basic question is: What do you see yourself doing after
all the arrangement and description are done?  Will there be enough work
left to occupy a full time position (assuming that the position has been
full time until now)?

>If the answer is yes, then explain why so to "The Powers that Be."  Also
be sure to tell them that well meaning non-professionals can do a real
number on a collection if left to make their own decisions.  (Believe me I
know, I've seen some of the results.)

>If the answer is no, and you don't know how you will fill 40 hours a week,
it may be time to look for a new project, perhaps while still working for
your current employer part time, or suggesting that they hire somebody part
time to provide reference and collection development.