Re: BPL, FOI and Saklad

                > I would then consider that the newsletter is exempt from
the law since it is
                > personal to the employee and is probably not maintained as
part of the files
                > of the government unit (Boston Public Library).
Cataloging of the newsletter
                > does not per se make it part of the government unit's
files.  Since the
                > newsletter is cataloged I assume that you (and others)
then have access to
                > it. If not why not? Please explain.

I have to disagree with you there Peter. I haven't taken the time to read
the regulations. However, by "personal" I believe the regulation means "not
re: the agency or its matters." If the newsletter is an official newsletter
distributed to a group within the agency/organization, it should be
considered public record. The question becomes, IMHO, is whether the
organization is a public organization. What is the organizations
jurisdiction and who do they report to? The union, the agency (BPL), no
one...

I know Mr. Saklad's tactics leave a lot to be desired. What bothers me more
though, based on the principle, is that the BPL doesn't want to just release
the information to Don. I have a hard time believing that the majority of
the information he's requesting is private or confidential. If the BPL were
just forthcoming with the information we would ALL be a lot happier.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself  ~  Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Maverick Collier
Records Analyst
City of Bellevue
City Clerk's Office