Multiple copies

From: Daniel Sokolow@MCGRAW-HILL on 03/15/2000 09:21 AM

To:   archives@listserv.muohio.edu
cc:
Subject:  Multiple copies

One other thing to think about.  Keeping extra copies around is handy if
somebody decides in the future they want to digitize parts of the collection.
I've had multiple copies (in some cases dozens) of our old Annual Reports
sitting in a corner for more than a year.  I already have multiple reference
copies, but I'm keeping the others around in case they actually come up with the
dough to convert the things to electronic format.

The idea is, I'd rather send the contractor extraneous copies, let them tear
them apart if they have to, and I'll get my digital copies without trashing my
only copy of an annual.  Like all digital projects, you have to make sure that
it's worth the expense before you bother with a project; so I wouldn't go ahead
& save every copy of everything you find, unless there's a reasonable
expectation that the items would be appropriate for a digitization project.

Otherwise, keep two copies just in case, and toss the rest.

Daniel

Daniel Sokolow
Corporate Archivist
The McGraw-Hill Companies