Re: Multiple Copies of Material in Archives

I am a little surprised at all the voices
advocating multiple copies. It sounded to
me like Holly Howes was asking for policy
advice. Reorganization is the perfect
opportunity to establish sound procudures
and clear out the accumulation of extraneous
materials.

Colleges and Universities churn out
massive amounts of brochures, newsletters,
handbooks and the like. As a general policy
rule one copy should be sufficient.

I agree with many of the responses that
certain items might merit multiple copies -
items with high potential for display, important
publications that might be microfilmed, and
certain very high use items all may merit
two copies. I think these should be chosen
carefully and should be the exception, rather
than the rule. If you have 5 or 10 (or more) cubic
feet of duplicates in your collection that is space
that might be better served with the records of
additional student organizations, departments, or
the papers of faculty and staff.

Some of these materials are also retained in the
main college/university library and I would
consider that copy as the use copy.

Holly, best of luck in working our your policy.
Craig Wright

It's so hard to know what to do
when one wishes earnestly to do right.
George Bernard Shaw, Man And Superman