Re: Request Forms

Forms design is both an art and a science. Comparing what others have done
is always a good idea. However the first step is to determine the
information that you wish to collect and why. What purpose does the form
serve (statistical data, security)? Will the information collected be used
in an electronic environment (database)?
Let's look at each element of your form

Name - its always nice to be able to use a person's name
Address (street or postal box, city, state/province, postal code, country?)-
geographical data can be used to support budget requests. (We assist people
from as far away as Bangor.)
Telephone Number - Why? are they a local researcher or university, will you
be contacting them by phone later on?
Email address - see above
Status - for a university definitely. Are we assisting more students or
faculty. I like Dean's suggestion of community. Is student delineated as to
graduate/undergraduate

Rules -- I agree that this should be on the front.
Date -- statistical information
Time -- statistical information (optional)
Signature --
Research topic
Check boxes - these can be used for such things as "Would you like us to
contact you if another researcher is interested in the same topic?", (you
get the idea)

Driver's license number or University ID -- security feature, usually a
picture id to confirm that they are who they say they are.

Have a good graphics artist or forms designer design the form once you have
decided on each element.
Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia