Re: Request Forms and Tracking open requests

     Tom's message about his database flagging unfulfilled requests made me
     wonder what other archives do to track this...my librarian friends are
     sort of horrified I have requests that go on that long but I think
     they just don't understand how much work some archives reference takes
     to complete.  Anyway, my system at the moment was inspired by the show
     Homicide--I have a dry erase board divided into days of the week where
     I write the names of patrons with requests in red and when they are
     finished I change the name to black so I know at a glance how many
     requests I've handled that week and what's still open.  (This board is
     kept in back so the patrons who actually watched Homicide won't freak
     out--on the show the red names were unsolved murders....)  However, I
     suspect there must be a better way.  Any suggestions?

     And while I'm posting to the list--I have just changed our researcher
     registration form to include a space to photocopy the driver's license
     of the patron.  Now I have to come up with a policy in case someone
     doesn't want to show their ID...what do other places do?

     Thanks!

     Jen Rawlings
     jeff_archivist@nps.gov
     Jefferson National Expansion Memorial