RAIN 3/15/00: Death, more open records and looking for a home

First off some general information. Many of the urls that are pasted into
these postings are extremely long. Read the url carefully before clicking on
it. I have verified each url before posting to ensure that it is still
active, BUT I have no control over the websites themselves. Some cutting and
pasting may be required.

Thank you all who have commented on the new format. Now on with the show.

The Times (as opposed to the pretender in New York City) has a certain flair
with its obituaries. You haven't really arrived (or is that departed) unless
your obituary appears in the Times. So it is always nice/sad to see an
archivist mentioned in the Times. By the by The Times as changed their url
formatting (dang it) clicking on the url will take you to the front page for
today. You will then have to go to the back issues (see top of their web
page) to gain access to the correct edition. Sorry complain not  to me but
to the Times. Preceding each story title is the Times' section category to
guide you to the story.

The Times 3/14/00
Obituary: Arthur Lehning
http://www.the-times.co.uk

There is something to be said for the word 'RUBBISH'. It carries so much
more connotations than does garbage, trash, etc. And when a Brit says
"Rubbish" watch out. Anyway the following (once again from the staid old
lady of Fleet Street) does deal with rrrrrrubbish!

The Times 3/14/00
LAW: Rubbish! Well, not necessarily, m'lord
http://www.the-times.co.uk

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Alright minds out of the gutter!
We're talking open records heah, suh!
Albuquerque Journal 3/14/00
GE suit claims records withheld
http://www.abqjournal.com/news/13news03-14-00.htm

There are some nifty links within this story.
APBNews.com 3/14/00
Judges relent on online financial disclosure
Clear way for internet publication of data
http://www.apbnews.com/cjsystem/justicenews/2000/03/14/judges0314_01.html

Why does genealogy get badmouthed so much? And why is it so popular? And why
is this poor collection of materials homeless?
Sun-Sentinel (Florida) 3/14/00
Genealogical collection is need of new home
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/daily/detail/0,1136,29000000000111595,00.ht
ml

You never know when a record will turn up. Over the weekend Aetna apologized
for selling slave insurance policies in ante-bellum days. Well wouldn't you
know one of those rare policies turned up.
The State (Columbia, South Carolina) 3/14/00
S.C. historical group owns rare slave policy
http://www.thestate.com/metro/docs/slaveinsurance14.htm

Further evidence that records management is moving more and more into an
electronic environment, but still not paperless.
South China Morning Post 3/14/00
US firm to host clients' records
http://www.technologypost.com/business/WEEKLY/20000313193131297.asp?Section=
Main

Pittsburgh Post Gazette 3/14/00
City begins advertising online for contract bids
http://www.post-gazette.com/neigh_city/20000314bids2.asp

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia