Re: How Many Photocopies is too Many?

We set a limit of 25 copies per patron per day.  Anything beyond that amount
is sent to our photolab and copied at double the rate (50 cents per
page)with a 4-6 week turn-around time.  If the patron wants a rush order,
the costs go up accordingly.  A 3 day turn-around time is marked up 400%.
We too have dealt with patrons with deep pockets or unlimited supplies of
cash from their employers.  Just be sure to enforce your set policy (set one
if you haven't)for all patrons. Even the ones with deep pockets.
Conservation is an issue with photocopying as well. While a page or two
could be copied from a certain volume, several pages may damage the record.
This issue must be considered first and foremost in the "how much is too
much" discussion.  In some cases, no matter how the researcher begs or
gripes, they will just have to resort to the dreaded taking of notes.  Gasp!

Vince Brooks
Research Archivist