Re: Advice needed on copyright notice

I'd suggest sticking a small copyright notice at the bottom of ALL of your
pages. Something simple like "Copyright 2000 Radford University Archives"
and link the "Radford University Archives" part to your home page (where
you have already wisely include your mailing address, a contact phone
and/or fax number, as well as email address).

>Fellow archivists--
>
>The other day I posted an announcement of my new archives web site at
>http://lib.runet.edu/archives.  Unfortunately, I did so without stating
>anything in the "subject" line.  Now I need some advice.
>
>One of the components of the page is an index of our first school
>newspaper.  When the newspaper's index was first publicized, questions were
>raised about whether we have copyright protection on that or not.
>
>Now, with the Archives web site "out there" in the public, I need advice on
>how other archives have gently warned individuals about contacting creators
>for copyright.
>
>We have a section in our "Archives Users Guide" that states: "Permission to
>publish from any unpublished documents, beyond the bounds of "fair use",
>must be obtained from the holder of copyright. It is the researcher's
>responsibility to secure that permission. For further assistance, contact
>the University Archivist."
>
>Will this cover us, I ask my colleagues belatedly.
>
>Is it sufficient to tell site visitors that they need to credit the
>Archives in their footnote and bibliography section or on their website if
>they choose to save an image on my website for installation on their website?
>
>Any language, succinct or otherwise, that someone can suggest would be very
>helpful.  It would save me having to go through Terry Abraham's masterlist
>of sites.
>
>Thanks for your efforts in advance.
>
>Jim Gilson
>

>Jim Gilson
>

>University Archivist                    jgilson@runet.edu
>Box 6881
>McConnell Library                       540-831-5826
>Radford University                      Office hours M-F
>Radford, VA 24141                       9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
>                                        1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Stephanie Swenson Towery