Re: Passport Applications

http://www.nara.gov/genealogy/passport.html

is the NARA web page with answers to questions about using passport applications. There is a phone number there to call if you have questions about using passports that the page doesn't answer. They will supply paper copies of applications, but those might be made from microfilm and so might not be better than what you were able to make...

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "James A. McLeod" <jamcleod@THEHIGHLANDGROUP.COM> 03/28/00 03:23PM >>>
Thanks to several people on this list who responded to a previous query I posted about the availability of passport applications for research I was able to find an application for my subject that was dated in 1921.

I have three further questions to which I hope those on the list will be equally responsive.  1)What is the procedure for gaining permission to examine the passport applications of persons after 1925; 2)Is there a separate index for the years 1924 and 1925.  I found the individual passport applications for those years but not the index; 3)Is the hard copy of the applications accessable?  I found the application on microfilm and the picture looks okay when viewed but did not copy well at all.  I need to compare that photo with numerous other photos.  I either need to make a better copy from an original print of the photograph which is, presumably, in the hard copy file, or have someone make a negative from the microfilm positive so that I can print one for myself. Does anyone have experience with either of these alternatives?

Jim McLeod

--
Dr. James A. McLeod
President, The Highland Group