Re: Workroom Wish List

maggie marconi wrote:

> The library and museum where I work is preparing to undergo a major
> renovation and expansion.  Recently, the archivist and I met with the
> architect to talk about what we'd like to have in our workroom.  We
> brainstormed about it for quite a bit and came up with some good ideas.  I
> was wondering if any one else had a wish list of things they could have in
> their workrooms, or things they wish they didn't have.
>
> The room will be about 700 square feet, in the basement level (which
> means lower ceilings).  Most of the walls will be lined with cabinets at
> both
> sitting and standing height, and deeper than regular kitchen cabinets, to
> allow
> for more workspace.  There will be a few cutouts at the sitting level
> counter top, to allow staff, interns or volunteers to work sitting down.
> The cabinets will lock, some will have pull out bins.  In additon, there
> will be at least
> one, if not two tall locking cabinets.
>
> There will be a large central work table, for processing collections, both
>
> archival and museum objects, or for laying out exhibits or what-have-you.
> We asked for a cutting station, to cut mylar, ethofoam, acid free tissue.
>
> We also asked for marker boards and bulletin boards. There will be a
> vented hood, and there will be a sink or two. This room will be adjacent
> to our office.
> There's a lot of space in the room, any other suggestions?  (If it would
> help
> you to know more about the institution, we are a public library which has,
> as
> a branch, an historic house museum.  When the renovation is done, the
> archives
> will be housed in the library building.  The house is an 1834 Greek
> Revival,
> and the museum collections tell the story of the city and the surrounding
> area.
> Our website details the history of the library and museum in-depth:
> www.sandusky.lib.oh.us)
>
> Thanks.
> Maggie Marconi
> Archives/Museum Services Manager
> Sandusky Library Follett House Museum
> Sandusky, OH

Maggie,

I would be a little apprehensive about the basement as far as humidity
problems are concerned; therefore, I would strongly suggest some form of
humidity control ventilation to keep atmosphere constant.  Second thing
would be to have a easy walking surface (no door treads, steps, etc.) to
facilitate moving cartons and boxes from the other floors to the workroom
and back.  Love the idea of movable work units, too.

Congratulations on having "anything" to say about construction and design.
Many of the rest of us are literally salivating over your good fortune.

paul
"All comments and opinions expressed in this message are the sole
responsibility of the
individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and cannot be attributed to
any other entity living or dead."

Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
(865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA