Re: "plastic" sleeve query

Heidi Christein wrote:
  Today I began processing a collection, and a fair number of small items
(cards, invitations, etc) were put into 8x10" clear plastic sleeves.  They
are not a brand I am familiar with, and if they are not "certified
archival", I will remove them from the collection.  They are sealed on 3
sides, are punched with holes to be put in binder, and have "PROLINE #14911
KLEER-VU" written on the edge that is 'binder ready."   I suspect they were bought at an office supply store, but I would not like to inadvertently throw out real archival sleeves.  Again, I thank the list for their assistance.

Heidi

Heidi,

I found this information and pass it on for you.

The publisher of PhotographiConservation, in Vol.4, No.4, (Dec 1982), has called attention to an advertisement bound into several publications lately, from Kleer-Vu Industries, consisting of a clear polypropylene "sleeve" for documents and photographs, claimed to be 100% acid-free and waterproof, with high tear strength. Like Mylar, polypropylene is chemically stable and suitable for archival enclosures, on the basis of our present knowledge.  The material is made by Hercules, Inc. of Wilmington, DE, and the sleeves by Kleer-Vu Industries of Brownsville, TN, who give a toll-free phone number for information or ordering (1- 800-238-3966). The editor of  PhotographiConservation has started "environmental testing" of these, and in a future issue will report; it takes some months for such a test.

Kleer-Vu Industries Inc.
        Kleer-Vu Drive
        Brownsville, Tennessee
        38012
        (901) 772-5664

Hope this will help.

paul
"All comments and opinions expressed in this message are the sole responsibility of the
individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and cannot be attributed to any other entity living or dead."

Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
(865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA