Re: job market

Hi all, I'm new to this list & not an archivist so please excuse my
ignorance.

I'm a librarian working as a contractor in New Jersey. Although my hourly
rate is relatively high, the administration here treats me like a second
class citizen. I've been looking to enter the archival field to locate a new
(and I thought more fulfilling) job, but getting into a part-time program is
like pulling teeth. Rutgers doesn't have room for alums in their archival
classes. I tried twice to get into the Modern Archives Institute program
twice but was turned away because they were already booked. I've also
noticed the number of jobs being posted in this field.  The number of
positions available plus the scarcity of educational opportunities (at least
here in NJ) and what I've been hearing about low salaries doesn't add up.
NJ's approx. minimum salary offered is $33,000 for librarians. Why are there
no salary guidelines for this profession?

Jennifer Kibbel