Re: job market

This line of thought is also a good commentary on where our society's values
have gone. I get it from two directions - my own low salary, and my wife is paid
slightly more than half what I am for teaching at a day-care center. If any of
us archivists think we're being short-changed, consider that her salary is
pretty much the norm for providing a service that I think is infinitely more
valuable than what we do; some of her students come from "homes" that are
dysfunctional beyond comprehension, and she and her fellow teachers provide the
only semblance of stability and maturity that these kids have in their lives.

Meanwhile, up the road in Toledo, two schools are closing and bus service within
two miles of city schools is being curtailed because a levy was voted down last
month, while millions of dollars are being raised and spent to build a new
sports stadium to replace one that's already in use.

It really makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
419-352-5616
tberry@wcnet.org