Ph.D. envy

Now now, Elmwood,

Is this Ph.D. envy I hear calling in your post? I, for one, see no point in citing dozens and dozens of articles when making reference to my own one (not to mention reference to my own original ideas) takes care of this in one swoop. Give Mr. Cox (to use the more formal and rather more tasteful address) some credit...after all, he _is_ an authority in the field.

And to descend into the realm of 'colloquivity', I would say that there are indeed many salaries out there that one would describe as 'sweet'. And yes, there are other 'professions' where people pay tens of thousands of dollars to get into careers where the salaries are hardly tens of thousands of dollars per annum. What is the difference, anyway, beween a 'professional school' and a 'trade school'? Despite all of the proclamations of professionalism, I always thought library/archival programmes to fall more into the latter category.

My 2p is worth more than your 2c!

Yours,

Ed Winchester

Quoting Elmwood Lockridge:

>Dear List:

>I believe that rather than sniping we all need >to thank Dr. Cox for
>straightening us out on this whole business.  >Some of us get confused at
>times (hunger will do that to you) and maybe >we just need a long detailed
>self-referential letter to keep our spirits up.

>I know I feel better after reading it, and >personally, I didn't find it
>condescending at all.

>So thanks, Dr. Cox (HE has a PhD, you know!) >for the boost.

MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
http://www.mailcity.lycos.com