Re: sigh, the job market/reply and my two cents worth

Dear Future Archivist:

Indeed, it's a meat-grinder world out there in the fields for which you are
headed.

In my 20-years of undegreed experience within the museum field, I have had
to put up with seasonal funding, limited-term funding and the occasional
special contract job, all for pretty crummy pay, and without benefits!

        So now I return to college and university to go after those degrees,
but I'm changing my focus away from museology and archival assistance and am
moving to my first love -- historic (architectural) preservation. I suspect,
however, it will be a case, economically speaking, of "jumping out of the
frying pan and into the fire." But, if I'm lucky, and agressive, there's a
lot of consulting to be done, and at much better pay levels. And, consulting
includes travel. Yay!