Request for information (fwd)

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:00:34 -0500
From: Anita A. Wellner <awellner@UDel.Edu>

   For over 20 years I have worked in salaried staff positions at the
University of Delaware Library.  I have held my current position, Library
Assistant in the Manuscript Unit of Special Collections for almost 12
years.

In May I will be presenting a paper as a member of a panel discussing:
"The Vicarious Archivist: Using Help to Get the Job Done," at the
Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference. The program description for the
panel reads:

 "As archival programs have grown in repository size and collecting scope,
professional archivists find themselves doing less hands-on processing and
more supervision and management.  Creative managers use help where they
can get it:  from volunteers; from para-professional, support, and
salaried staff positions; and from temporary interns, graduate assistants,
and fellows.  What assignments traditionally handled by the archivist can
be delegated to these helpers?  What happens to the professional duties of
archivists when much of their time is spent as trouble-shooting
supervisors?  The presenters represent diverse staffing models and will
describe the scope to their duties, training, and comparable positions at
other institutions.  The moderator has experience managing a wide variety
of support personnel and will lead a stimulating discussion of staffing
options for archivists who need help getting the job done."

I would like to gather information about support/salaried staff who work
in archives or in manuscript units of libraries.  I am interested in your
job descriptions, qualifications needed for the job, any job specific
training you received, and thoughts you might have on the work environment
needed to make your job a success.

Since this may not be a topic the majority of list would find useful,
please E-mail responses directly to me:

awellner@udel.edu
Anita Wellner
Library Assistant, University of Delaware Library
(302) 831-1046 FAX

In advance, thank you for your assistance.