Re: FWD: Reading Rooms and Staffing

>===== Original Message From Archives & Archivists
>To:                     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
>
>We are currently re-working our reading room hours and
>considering how to cover unplanned and planned staff absences.
>
>I would appreciate input from other institutions. Please reply to
>me and I will summarize for the list.
>
>How many special collection/archives reading rooms do you
>maintain?  one
>
>How many hours a week is each opened?
>40 hours
>How many staff hours are dedicated to reading room service?
5 hours; we can view the reading room patrons from our desks and work on
materials when we do not have patrons.

>Do you use students or volunteers to staff reading rooms by
>themselves?

No, not usually

>Do you have more than one person on duty for a reading room?

We have a staff of one professional, one staff, 3 student workers, and 3
graduate assistants who work in areas close to the reading room.  We may be
called from our desks to help patrons at any time.

>Thanks for your help.
>
>Susie R. Bock
>Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
>University of Southern Maine Libraries
>314 Forest Ave.
>PO Box 9301
>Portland, Maine 04104-9301
>207-780-4269
>207-780-4042 (fax)
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Erma Jean Loveland