Re: FW: Job Market thread.

Title: Job Market thread.
Where (in what venue) does the Corporate World advertise for Archival Positions?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 1:39 PM
Subject: FW: Job Market thread.

Susan wrote:

And as for the corporate world -- I have worked in a public library, academia and corporate.  I have never felt so needed and so able to make a difference anywhere as I do in the corporate world.  I am well rewarded for taking the risk -- we have no guarantees of lifetime work after all and justify our existence annually.  That is not a bad thing in any type of institution - it enables us to prove to our employers that we are professionals, that we do make a difference on a regular basis and are deserving of better income.

I am in complete agreement with the above. In the corporate world I believe that I am making a difference and they appreciate it. More and more I see the private sector searching out the professionals in records and archives management. They may not know what a CRM or CA is for that matter but they want one on staff if that will put them one up on their colleagues.

The private sector has been bery, bery good to me (to paraphrase Chico Escuela the great SNL ballplayer). Any way the private sector has taught me how to do cost estimating, project management, strategic planning, budget estimating, RFP development, cost benefit analysis, formal presentation skills, classes in the various MS products (WORD, EXCEL, PROJECT, POWERPOINT) as well as LOTUS123, PARADOX, WORDPERFECT, DISPLAYWRITE, you name it they have paid for it. Even paying for attendance at conferences such as ARMA, AIIM and SAA and other seminars and classes that will ultimately provide a benefit to them. Why because it makes me a better and more knowledgeable employee. I receive OJT on network setups, email configurations, bandwidth constrictions, magneto-optical vs RAID arrays, etc. I could go on but I think you get the point.

Sure when I am ready to retire I would like to work at a historical society or some university. So put down the lightsaber Luke We are all on the same side

Finally I have enjoyed this thread immensely, but I must get back and finish a presentation due next Monday for a major medical center. (I dread eventually tackling the old musty boxes due to book-lice, snakes, rabbit, raccoons, etc as well as asbestos and lead) what was that about ties? <G>

pak

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia